The worst thing about all vacations is that they have to end (sigh). I feel the same way about the 2012 Philadelphia International Flower Show, which ends this Sunday, March 11. Digital waves, one-of-a-kind vendors, tropical tastes, theme parties and world-class entertainment swept us away to the shores of Philly’s “New Hawaii.” As the show enters the home stretch, only three days remain to take in the fun. Check out my final picks for Hawaii, Islands of Aloha..
- JUST DANCE: In the back right of the show, the very last exhibit brings together pop perfection with budding blossoms. In a nod to Lady Gaga and Katy Perry, this exhibit creates a non-stop party with twirling recreations of pop artists made with flowers. Get into the groove of the music — and the flashing light show.
- FAMILY FUN: Chica and friends from Sprout’s “Sunny Side Up Show” will provide free performances at 10:30 AM, 12:00 PM and 1:30 PM on both Saturday AND Sunday. On Sunday, join Sprout’s Kelly from “The Sunny Side Up Show,” The Pajanimals, and the Berenstain Bears for an interactive afternoon snack. Between 3:45 PM and 5:15 PM, characters will join you at your table for one-on-one time, photos, and autographs. Please note: The Sprout Snack requires a special ticket; click here to order.
- SHOPPING: Take home a piece of the “aloha spirit” at The Hawaii Village in the Grand Hall. Crafts, merchandise, and handmade natural items for the home and garden pay tribute to the people of Hawaii—and you’ll get to see the craftsmen at work during live demonstrations. Some of my favorite moments at this year’s show were in the village talking to the craftsman from Hawaii. The folks at Maui Coffee will share tales of kinds, explorers and the history of coffee in the islands. They also give a great demonstration with coffee beans. Aromatic smells are even free! I also recommend a stop to the Hawaiian chocolate booth where you can quickly down a piece of gourmet chocolate and bring some home for someone special.
- BEST HOURS: Early bird or night owl, Saturday offers times for everyone! The show runs from 8:00 AM to 9:30 PM. Early and late hours sometimes give the best viewing opportunities as the crowds can be lighter.
- PHOTO OPS: The Flower Show provides the perfect backdrop for Facebook profile pictures that will make your former classmates green with envy. My personal favorite is at the mouth of the “volcano” where you can offer your friends up as a sacrifice to the Flower Show gods. I also recommend ANY and ALL pictures with the Hawaiian totem poles. I personally tried to recreate many of the fun faces carved in wood. Finally, there are Hawaiian and tropical themed photo backgrounds to pretend you were actually in the islands. Print mom a postcard when you get home!
Tickets for the final weekend of the Flower Show can be found at here. After you return from your trip, stop back here or visit us on Facebook and share your favorite things or your best pics. We’d love to hear what you thought…
Disclaimer: No monetary compensation or in-kind items were provided for this post. Philly Loves Fun brings you this preview as a courtesy, and is not involved in any planning or official promotion of this event. Please verify final details, opening dates and times closer to the opening — as it is still a work in progress until the formal unveiling.