East Passyunk Avenue is revving up for the 7th Annual Car Show and Street Festival on Sunday, July 29, 2012, from Noon to 5:00pm. Over 5,000 people are expected to turn out to see 140 cars, motorcycles and trucks that will compete for Best of Show and other top honors. What really has us going into overdrive, however, is the street festival with live music on every corner, circus performances, family fun, street food and cold summertime drinks. Admission is FREE for attendees and $15 for cars. We’re getting ready to shut up and drive.. watch out South Philly here we come!
More than 140 muscle, classic, antique, custom and show cars, trucks and motorcycles will line the five blocks between Broad and Dickinson streets. Trophies will be awarded in dozens of categories, including: Top 50, Best Stock, Best Modified, Best Engine, Best Paint, Best 50’s Custom, Best Street Rod, Best Low Rider, Best Truck, Best Motorcycle, and Best of Show Car and Motorcycle. The most coveted trophy, however, promises to be the brand spanking new “People’s Choice” award. Festival attendees and social media followers will flock to Facebook and Twitter the week after the event and pick their winner. Talk about fun for the masses!
- 12:30pm to 2:00pm – Los Kilates (El Zarape, 12th and Morris streets)
- 1:00pm to 2:30pm – East Coastamite (Le Virtu, EPA and Juniper Street)
- 2pm – DooWop Band (Stogie Joe’s, EPA and Moore Street)
- 2:00pm to 3:00pm – Pan Labyrinth (Birra, EPA and 12th Street)
- 2:30pm – Furious George (Stogie Joe’s, EPA and Moore Street)
- 3:00pm to 4:30pm – We Are Fauna (Le Virtu, EPA and Juniper Street)
- 3:00pm to 4:30pm – Steve Cal Blues Band (Mamma Maria, EPA between Tasker and Morris streets)
For food lovers, East Passyunk Avenue unleashes its award-winning restaurants serving up authentic Italian eats and other great street food. Cold brews and summertime cocktails will be flowing inside our favorite pubs and on the street. The line-up has us salivating already, check it out…
- Birra – Outdoor beer garden and slices
- Cantina – Regular menu in the outdoor yard with brunch and margarita specials
- El Zarape – Tacos al pastor on the outdoor spit and other Mexican favorites
- Le Virtu – Outdoor grill and beer garden
- Mamma Maria – Gnocchi, chicken cutlets, sausage and peppers
- Marra’s – Pizza, sausage and peppers, meatball sandwiches
- Ms Goody Cupcake – Special festival flavors (Classic Car, Doo Wop, Taste of Summer, Margarita)
- Noir – Montreal-style hot dogs, poutine and arancini
- Plenty – Sandwiches and panini including pesto chicken, tasso ham and portabello mushrooms
- Stogie Joe’s – Outdoor craft beer bar
Classic photos, children’s activities, a free moon bounce, ice cream from Little Baby’s Ice Cream and a coloring contest at Ms Goody Cupcake will provide fun for the whole family. Philadelphia School of Circus Arts will spring forth from their Germantown location with ground skills and tightwire performances. The Bang! Boom! CRAFT! Show at the Fountain will showcase handmade items from 30 crafters and artists. Street vendors will sell car accessories and products, jewelry, sunglasses, Italian clothing and more.
Other festivities will include “Cupcakes & Cars: One Year Anniversary Party” at Ms Goody Cupcake from 11:30am to 5:00pm. South Philly’s only cupcakery will celebrate one year on EPA with a cupcake samples, door prizes and a custom car-themed cake cutting ceremony at 2:00pm. After the cars cruise into the sunset, Stogie Joe’s keeps the party rocking with live music until 9:00pm.
The 7th Annual Car Show and Street Festival, formerly known as the Doo Wop, is hosted by the Northeast Muscle Car Club and presented by East Passyunk Avenue Business Improvement District. Sponsors include Yelp, City Paper, Passyunk Avenue Revitalization Corporation, South Philly Review and WOGL. For more information and directions, go to www.visiteastpassyunk.com.
Make sure to pull over and say hi if you see us at the show. We will be covering it live all day on Twitter and Facebook. Watch out for an album of the cars, food and fun after the last ride pulls off into the sunset. Stay tuned…
Disclaimer: No compensation was received in exchange for this blog post. Facebook, Twitter and Google are not affiliated with this giveaway. Data collected will not be shared.