While our heart belongs to East Passyunk Avenue and Northern Liberties, we find ourselves having a love affair with the glory and history of Old City. Eateries such as Serrano, Tin Angel, Sassafras, Han Dynasty, Lucy’s Hat Shop, Nick’s Roast Beef and Franklin Fountain have kept us around Second Street at least two to three nights a week for the last month. Coming this July,you’d think we were ready to hitch up the U-haul and move in as we plan on enjoying fine eats, drinks and shopping during a new festival by Old City District. Serrano also gives us a triple threat with street cart food, drink and entertainment. Join u as we fall in love all over again with Old City!
Inside Out Festival
Old City is taking it to the streets! Over 40 businesses are offering special promotions and entertainment along the sidewalks throughout the historic district. Join us on Saturday, July 6, noon – 6:00 pm, during Philadelphia’s Welcome America festivities for fantastic shopping in indie boutiques, galleries and design showroom. Enjoy live music and sample a variety of delicious eats from the restaurants around Old City. This event is brought to you by Old City Arts and Business Collective, and Old City District.
- Free ice cream samples and house-made ice cream sandwiches; The Franklin Fountain, 116 Market Street
- Antique sale featuring vintage cameras, vintage apparel, sports paraphernalia, items for the garden, and antique books. Tart lemons sipped through sweet Lemon Straws; Shane Confectionery, 110 Market Street
- Flag making project – Matisse meets Betsy Ross; Artists Meet + Greet; and Space Whale Orchestra; Interpretive Jazz and Outdoor Art Sale ; 3rd Street Gallery on Second Street – 58 N 2nd Street, 12 pm – 6pm
- Boxing and kickboxing demonstrations; Brazen Boxing & MMA – 45 N. 3rd Street, 3rd Floor, 12:00 pm – 6:00 pm
- Napolean pizza dough-making demonstration by Chef Luca Sena Jr.; Revolution House – 200 Market Street, 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm
- Jazz performance: We the Peoples – Karen Smith – Drums, Mark Palacio – Bass, John Guest – Keyboards; Bird Park – Third and Arch Streets, 2:00 pm – 5:00 pm
- “Street Fare” menu debut, tap takeover by Yards, specially priced sangria, clothing designer National Picnic and jewelry designer Piggle and Pop; Serrano, 20 S. 2nd Street, 12:00 pm – 6:00 pm
- 15% discount on all Work in the Gallery; Snyderman-Works Galleries, 303 Cherry Street, 10 am – 6 pm
- Breakfast For Lunch, featuring Slamming Breakfast Sandwich; Sassafras Bar – 48 S. 2nd Street, 12:00 pm – 6:00 pm
- 50-70% Off merchandise from Cards to Stationery to Gifts; The Papery – 57 N. Third Street, 12 pm – 6 pm
- Get your picture taken with museum heroes life-size images; National Liberty Museum – 321 Chestnut Street, 12 pm – 6 pm
- $10 Wash-n-Go Dog Bath Special and Sidewalk Super Sale; BONeJOUR Pet Supply & Dog Wash – 53 N. 3rd Street, 10 am – 6pm
Visit www.firstfridayweekends.com for the full list of activities and participating businesses.
Serrano Street Fare Debuts
During a normal year, Serrano would close its doors for vacation in July. This year, however, the fun is just heating up as this Old City staple will remain open on Thursday, Fridays and Saturdays for the debut of “Serrano Street Fare,” casual and discounted food and drinks, plus free entertainment. The new “Serrano Street Fare” menu will offer eight to ten specially priced “grab n go” items that showcase Chef Gina Rodriguez’s love of authentic street food. All food will be served casually (think paper, not china) as if they came fresh and hot from a local food truck. Special low prices will make patrons think they were outside reveling at their favorite food festival.
On top of delicious eats, proprietor Donal McCoy will serve up specially priced sangria, Aqua Fesca with an adult edge, signature cocktails and a tap takeover by Yards. McCoy also pays homage to the musical heart and soul of Tin Angel (upstairs) by arranging for great tunes during Street Fare, including Zach Brown on 7/13, and local legend Kenn Kweder on July 20th. Other acts will be announced soon. Entertainment is free.
July 5, 6**, 11, 12, 13*, 18, 19 and 20* (* Music, ** Old City District’s Inside Out Festival )
- Pulled Pork Soft Taco (Braised pork, bacon, lettuce and pico de galo served in hand-made flatbread)
- Sonoran Hot Dog (Jumbo hot dog wrapped in bacon, topped with beans, guacamole, pico sauce and chipotle aioli)
- Cheesy Cornbread Jalapeno Poppers (Filled with cheddar cheese, fried in a cornbread batter)
- Chicken and Rice (Grilled chicken kabob served over Spanish rice with roasted green chili sauce)
- Grilled Corn (Finished with cayenne honey butter and green onion)
- Yucca Chips with Charred Salsa
- Sopapillas aka “Donuts” (Fried dough dusted in cinnamon and powdered sugar)
- Fish Taco (Grilled mahi-mahi, shaved cabbage, pico de gallo, lime crema in corn tortilla)
Disclaimer: No compensation was received in exchange for this blog post. Event is not sponsored by Philly Loves Fun.