City of Hope Philadelphia celebrates a weekend for Hope with the Women’s Cancer Walk 5K on Saturday, September 13, 2014 and HopeCuts on Sunday, September 14, 2014. One in three women will be diagnosed with cancer in her lifetime, which is why raising awareness and money for a cure is so important. All the proceeds will go to City of Hope for patient care and research funding. While the Walk and HopeCuts support a serious and worthwhile cause, there’s tons of fun, prizes and surprises to be had! Get our your most festive purple and get in on this double header! (Sponsored post by City of Hope)
WOMEN’S CANCER WALK
The Women’s Cancer Walk 5K takes place bright and early this Saturday, September 13, 2014. Survivors and supporters will be decked out in purple shirts, hats, feathers, beads and other festive decor while they walk with pride from Campbell’s Field (401 Delaware Ave, Camden), across the Ben Franklin Bridge, to the the Arch Street Meeting House (320 Arch St, Philadelphia). Festivities are set to begin at 8:00am starting with registration, followed by a number of fun activities including team photos, hair streaking and team warm-ups with instructors from Sweat Fitness. After a ceremony at 10:00am, walkers will journey across the Bridge and take in the most breathtaking views the city has to offer. The Mummers will be waiting in Old City District to kick off the post-walk celebration. As a bonus, walkers can get in some extra fun and shopping with a stop at 6th and Market Streets for the Craft Phila fair featuring handmade crafts, arts and fashions. Bus shuttles are available to take walkers to Campbell’s Field and return them to their cars after. For the full details about parking, festivities and more, click here.
New in 2014: This year’s Women’s Cancer Walk will remember special champion Gi Cunningham, who was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2000. Gi loved that City of Hope used ninety one cents of every dollar raised for patient care and research efforts. She wanted to lend her support and voice to City of Hope, and she formed Team Poder Latina. Thirty-five family and friends will walk in her memory on Saturday morning. “The walked this Saturday is dedicated to my Aunt Gi to commemorate her efforts with City of Hope, and to carry on what she started for us,” said Gi’s nephew Toby DeLaRosa. “She spent a lot of time volunteering with City of Hope because they are real people trying to help, which it’s why they’ve made so much progress with cancer research.”
Get Involved: Register at the event itself for $25.00 for adults (13 and over) and $15.00 for youth (12 and under). All registered participants will receive a Women’s Cancer Walk tee-shirt and finish line gift. Walkers can register individually or as a team.
HopeCuts takes place this Sunday, September 4, 2014 at dozens of top salons and spas in the Philadelphia area and beyond. Stylists and salon owners will be donating their time to help cut out cancer with 100% of the proceeds going to City of Hope. All HopeCuts events will include deeply discounted services (which can range from cut, style, blow-out, make-up, waxing and more). Other festivities (which vary by location) can include entertainment, refreshments, raffle prizes, beaut baskets, swag and more. Here are three of our top picks for Sunday, plus a link to find a salon in your area.
- Topper’s Rittenhouse (117 South 19th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103) – $25 discounted hair cuts, raffle for beauty baskets and more. “”We are fortunate to be in a service industry that has promoted wellness and beauty for over 33 years,” said Judi Little, General Manager. ” Thank you to Harry and the City of Hope organization for providing us the opportunity to give much greater meaning and purpose to what we do.” Book now by calling 215-599-0504, ext. 1105.
- Headhunters Hair Design (1718 East Passyunk, Philadelphia, PA 19148) – Enjoy free bites and sips, prizes, raffle jewelry sale and more. Specials: men’s cut $10, women’s cut $25, blow out $15, mini-makeover $25, eyebrow waxing $5, spray tanning $25. Call 215-334-4001 for appointment, walk-ins also welcome.
- Main Line Center for Laser Surgery (32 Parking Plaza #200, Ardmore) – Dr. Eric Bernstein and his team add a new twist to HopeCuts by offering hair removal using laser techniques from the back, arms, underarms, lips, legs or anywhere you have unwanted growth. The treatments can take as little as 15 minutes (depending on the area) or as long as an hour. Costs range from a few hundred dollars to over a thousand. Call for an appointment on October 22, 2014 from 9:00am to 1:00pm today. ALL proceeds will be donated to the City of Hope. Call 610 645 5551 for an appointment.
Other great local picks for Sunday (and dates over the next few weeks), include:
- AVM Salon – Medford
- Affinity Salon – South Philadelphia
- D. Tails & D. Signs – Midtown Village/Center City
- Ends Hair Design – Old City
- Elegant Studio – North Broad
- Hot Waves Salon – South Philadelphia
- Salon on 4th – South Street
- Salon Royal Court – Rittenhouse
- The Hair Hut – Runnemede
Get Involved: For a full listing of participating salons, please visit www.hopecuts.org and follow @cityofhopephila #hopecuts14 on Twitter. For more information about City of Hope, please call 1-800-344-8169, email email@example.com or visit http://www.cityofhope.org.
Join us at both events this weekend – we will be out in full force and tweeting up a storm for one of our favorite causes! Follow @cityofhopephila and @phillylovesfun on Twitter – and make sure to say hello if you come out for one or both events. If you can’t join in person, please visit www.cityofhope.org and make a donation. Big or small, every donation helps them find a cure!
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by City of Hope. Facebook, Twitter and Google are not affiliated with any Philly Loves Fun giveaways ever. Please confirm all times and schedules with official organizers. Philly Loves Fun is not sponsoring this event.